Crispin Duenas leads recurvers in Lockdown Knockout qualifying with 595
Canadian archer Crispin Duenas scored 595 out of possible 600 points for the 60-arrow 18-metre ranking round to lead recurve qualification for the Lockdown Knockout, World Archery’s remote international tournament.
“I really wasn’t sure about my score. I knew it was still a good score but if it was good enough to take first was unknown to me. I’m very happy with how I shot overall,” he said.
“I’m imagining that matchplay will be tough. I need to make sure my shot execution is clean because anything can happen in 15 arrows.”
Crispin is a three-time Olympian and world championship medallist. He won the recurve men’s event at the 2019 Pan American Games in Lima, Peru.
Eight recurve archers are taking part in the Lockdown Knockout.
Duenas led Brady Ellison (593), Steve Wijler (589), Aida Roman (579), Casey Kaufhold (577), Gaby Bayardo (577), Bernardo Oliveira (577) and Yasemin Anagoz (559) over qualification.
Qualification ran from Friday 5 to Monday 8 June.
Each archer filmed the round themselves before submitting it without knowing their opponents’ results. The head-to-head portion of the competition is resolved live, with phones connected via the internet to a remote production unit.
Unusually, archers and commentators will be able to hear one another.
The matchplay phase of the tournament starts on 13 June. The men have been placed on one side of the bracket and women on the other. The final will be between the last unbeaten man and the last unbeaten woman.
All matches are scheduled to begin at 17h00 CET.
- Quarterfinal 1 – Saturday 13 June: Gaby Bayardo v Casey Kaufhold
- Quarterfinal 2 – Sunday 14 June: Aida Roman v Yasemin Anagoz
- Quarterfinal 3 – Monday 15 June: Steve Wijler v Brady Ellison
- Quarterfinal 4 – Tuesday 16 June: Crispin Duenas v Bernardo Oliveira
The winner of each quarterfinal will advance to the semifinals, followed by the final, which will see the unbeaten man take on the unbeaten woman.
- Semifinal 1 – Thursday 18 June: winner quarterfinal 1 v winner quarterfinal 2
- Semifinal 2 – Friday 19 June: winner quarterfinal 3 v winner quarterfinal 4
- Final – Sunday 21 June: winner semifinal 1 v winner semifinal 2
All eight 60-arrow 18-metre ranking rounds were recorded in time-lapse videos. Watch them on World Archery’s YouTube channel, Facebook page or in the embeds below.
1) Crispin Duenas, Canada – 595 points
2) Brady Ellison, USA – 593 points
3) Steve Wijler, Netherlands – 589 points
4) Aida Roman, Mexico – 579 points
=5) Casey Kaufhold, USA – 577 points
=5) Gaby Bayardo, Netherlands – 577 points
=5) Bernardo Oliveira, Brazil – 577 points
8) Yasemin Anagoz, Turkey – 559 points
Follow the Lockdown Knockout live across World Archery’s digital platforms.