Turkey leads medal table at Gymnasiade in Caen
Turkey took 12 medals, including four golds, to top the medal table at the 2022 Gymnasiade, which finished recently in Caen, France.
The multisport arena at the Stade du Venoix was the venue for archery as 11 nations – Bangladesh, Brazil, Chinese Taipei, Comoros, France, India, Kazakhstan, Spain, Turkey, Ukraine and the USA – competed across 12 events on 16-21 May.
There were six events for both recurve and compound archers: men’s individual, women’s individual, men’s team, women’s team, mixed team and mixed nation mixed team, which saw two archers from different countries join forces. Archers aged 16-18, falling into the under-18 age group, and currently studying could participate.
(The mixed nation mixed team event featured at the Youth Olympic Games in 2010, 2014 and 2018.)
Turkey’s Harun Kirmizitas and Hazal Burun took individual wins in the recurve men’s and compound women’s events.
Li Tsai-Chai of Chinese Taipei won the recurve women’s competition and the host nation’s Victor Bouleau took compound men’s gold for France.
Taipei also won all three recurve team titles.
In addition to the medals, a fair play trophy was awarded to Caen Archery Club for all assistance offered to Yassine Youssouf from Comoros, who was just starting in the sport, and the young judges, part of a Union Nationale du Sport Scolaire (National School Sport Union) programme in France, were awarded certificates.
Watch the full final day on the Olympic Channel and check results on the International School Sport Federation website.
Champions: Gymasiade 2022
- Recurve men: Harun Kirmizitas, Turkey
- Recurve women: Li Tsai-Chi, Chinese Taipei
- Compound men: Victor Bouleau, France
- Compound women: Hazal Burun, Turkey
- Recurve men team: Chinese Taipei (Cheng Hsiang-Hui, Ke Lun-You, Yang Kai-Han)
- Recurve women team: Chinese Taipei (Li Tsai-Chi, Liu Pei-Yu, Su Szu-Min)
- Recurve mixed team: Chinese Taipei (Li Tsai-Chi, Cheng Hsiang-Hui)
- Recurve mixed nation mixed team: Su Szu-Min, Chinese Taipei and Landon Richardson, USA
- Compound men team: Turkey (Abdullah Aslim, Yusuf Bahadir Eryilmaz, Eren Kirca)
- Compound women team: Turkey (Hazal Burun, Nehir Sarihan, Irmak Yuksel)
- Compound mixed team: Spain (Alexa Misis, Kevin Arias)
- Compound mixed nation mixed team: Nur Gomez, Spain and Andrey Tyutun, Kazakhstan
Medal table: Gymnasiade 2022
1. Turkey: 12 (4 gold, 6 silver, 2 bronze)
2. Chinese Taipei: 4 (4 gold)
3. France: 4 (1 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronze)
4. Spain: 4 (1 gold, 3 bronze)
5. Kazakhstan: 3 (3 silver)
=6. USA: 1 (1 bronze)
=6. Bangladesh: 1 (1 bronze)
Archers from seven countries won 29 medals – not including the six available in the mixed nation mixed team competition.
Photos courtesy John Kim.