Preview: Italy hosts back-to-back European field and 3D champs
The Italian ski resort of Cesana Sansicario will host two major continental events back-to-back in September, first the European field championships on 19-23 September before the 3D championships in the week until 30 September.
Both events are taking place at the Olympic Centre in San Sicario Alto, which hosted the biathlon competition at the 2006 Winter Olympics. It’s a stark change of scenery from two years ago when the finals of the 2021 European Field Archery Championships were held on the sands of Porec beach in Croatia.
Field and 3D archery both take place on courses set around the countryside. In field archery, archers in recurve, compound and barebow divisions shoot at black and yellow circular targets set at distances between five and 60 metres. In 3D archery, archers in compound, barebow, longbow and instinctive divisions shoot at foam targets set at distance between five and 50 metres.
There are nearly 400 entires across the two events, with many archers (in the compound and barebow categories) competing at both.
What’s happening? The European field and 3D championships on 19-30 September 2023 in Cesana Sansicario, Italy.
What’s at stake? Continental champion titles across three bowstyles (recurve, compound and barebow) in the field competition, senior and under-21 age groups, and four (compound, barebow, longbow and instinctive) in the 3D event.
Who’s competing? A total of 195 archers – 119 men and 76 women – from 26 countries in the field championships and 189 archers – 117 men and 72 women – from 22 countries in the subsequent 3D championships.
The field championships take place on 19-23 September 2023.
- Tuesday 19 September: Marked qualifying
- Wednesday 20 September: Unmarked qualifying
- Thursday 21 September: Eliminations
- Friday 22 September: Team finals
- Saturday 23 September: Finals
The 3D championships take place on 26-30 September 2023.
- Tuesday 26 September: Qualifying
- Wednesday 27 September: Qualifying
- Thursday 28 September: Eliminations
- Friday 29 September: Team finals
- Saturday 30 September: Finals
How to watch
Watch live footage of the individual finals of the field championships on the World Archery YouTube channel. Live scores will be available for the field championships and 3D championships on Ianseo and there will be coverage on World Archery Europe’s digital platforms throughout the competition.
Full entries are available online.
These are the reigning European field champions from Porec 2021:
- Recurve men: Florian Unruh, Germany
- Recurve women: Chiara Rebagliati, Italy
- Compound men: Domagoj Buden, Croatia
- Compound women: Sara Ret, Italy
- Barebow men: Martin Ottosson, Sweden (not competing)
- Barebow women: Cinzia Noziglia, Italy
These are the reigning under-21 European field champions from Porec 2021:
- Recurve men: František Heřmánek, Czech Republic
- Recurve women: Beatrice Miklos, Romania
- Compound men: Michea Godano, Italy (competing in the senior division)
- Compound women: Andrea Nicole Moccia, Italy (not competing)
- Barebow men: Matteo Seghetta, Italy
- Barebow women: Eleonora Meloni, Italy (not competing)
These are the reigning European 3D champions from Maribor 2021.
- Compound men: Nico Wiener, Austria
- Compound women: Irene Franchini, Italy
- Barebow men: Leo Pettersson, Sweden
- Barebow women: Stine Asell, Sweden
- Longbow men: Franz Harg, Austria
- Longbow women: Encarna Garrido, Spain
- Instinctive men: Terje Bakke, Norway
- Instinctive women: Michela Donati, Italy
Competition at the European Field Championships starts with qualifying on Tuesday 19 and concludes on Saturday 23 September, followed by the European 3D Championships on 26-30 September 2023.